According to Garage Living, 55% of Americans spend 1 to 2 hours each week in the garage doing hobbies and other activities. With so much time being spent in our garages, ventilation and comfort are an important factor to consider. In this blog, we will review why HVLS fans are an effective solution for cooling your garage.
Large Fans Are a Must-Have for Garages and Here is Why
A home garage is designed as a place to park vehicles or as extra storage space, even larger garage workshops are built with the same functions in mind. The occupants of garages, small and large are often neglected because garage space is often built without ventilation or exhaust. Without HVAC or proper ventilation garage temperatures can be 10 – 18° F warmer than outside temperatures.
This can make activities much more difficult to accomplish. Productivity suffers significantly when occupants or workers are too hot in a garage because they are distracted and make more mistakes. If you work in a garage or large automotive workshop, this is probably not news to you. However, you may be wondering, what exactly is the relationship between temperature and productivity in any space?
In a NASA employee productivity study, results showed the difficulty of working in environments with high temperatures. NASA found and reported that temperatures over 80° F have a negative effect on both the productivity and accuracy of workers.
How Large Garage Fans Work
- Why do HVLS fans work? HVLS fans work compared to normal small industrial fans or blower fans because of the large diameter fan blades (or airfoils). Big industrial fans have longer and wider blades so they can generate larger volumes of air that travel farther. This makes MacroAir big ceiling fans perfect for circulating air in a home garage or large garage workshop.
- Safety: The airflow created by HVLS fans removes moisture from the air and makes the temperature of the air closer to the temperature of concrete floors which most garage floors are made of. This helps eliminate slipping hazards in garages and large workshops.
- One large ceiling fan has more efficiency: Because of the large circumference, specially designed fan blades and blade span of MacroAir large ceiling fans, it only takes one of our fans to create balanced and comfortable airflow over more square feet in a garage. Compared to multiple small floor fans to get similar results.
A Breathable Garage
Installed large ceiling fans provide evenly balanced airflow which allows fresh air to reach an entire garage or workshop. Large ceiling fans circulate air, and any contaminates left from vehicles or chemicals in your garage out of an open garage door and openings in the ceiling. Fresh air dilutes the concentrated contaminants, eliminating airborne health hazards and odors.
Whether you are fixing up a vintage car or using your garage for crafts and hobbies, MacroAir fans are here to help you stay cool and comfortable while you do the things you love most.
Is your garage or large workshop uncomfortable during the warm summer months? What other airflow solutions have you used to make your garage more comfortable? Leave your comment below.
Not sure which fan you need?Find Your Fan
Latest posts by Patrick Munar (see all)
- MacroAir Dealer Newsletter Volume 1/Issue 2 - October 30, 2019
- Size and Speed Matters When Choosing the Right Fan - September 26, 2019
- MacroAir Dealer Newsletter Volume 1/Issue 1 - September 19, 2019